Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Getting to Know Mr. Deberadinis

Meeting the new WMS Theater Teacher

This year, Woodcreek Middle School welcomed a new theater arts teacher, Matthew Deberadinis. Mr. Deberadinis came to WMS with a unique set of circumstances. During his 7th grade year at Atascocita Middle School, he was a student of Mrs. Sarah Maake. On July 19, 2023, Mrs. Maake passed away in a tragic car accident. Woodcreek students and staff were devastated to learn this news, but thankfully, Mr. Deberadinis stepped up to be the new Woodcreek Theater Teacher.

When describing Mr. Deberadinis, Dr. Moye said, “We wouldn’t have asked for a better person to transition us through the most difficult circumstances. He has shown himself to be loving, caring, and passionate about students. He has done this by caring for kids social emotional health and being patient and focusing on letting all in the theater program allow him in and not forcing himself on them. By doing that students have wholly accepted him and allowed him to be their director. Essentially he humbled himself, presented himself to the students, and patiently worked as they are growing to love him”

Mr. Deberardinis got his start in theater during middle school and carried it throughout high school. In May 2023 Mr. Debrardinis graduated from the University of Houston with a degree in Theater Education. He chose theater education because his theater teacher, Ms. Anthis, persuaded him to pursue it when it he was a junior in high school

He moved from Buffalo, New York to Atascocita in 2013. During his 7th grade year at Atascocita Middle School, he was cast in his first play. Falling in love with theater and going to pursue a career of teaching theater. 

Mr. Deberadinis observed, “The thing I love most about theatre is mostly making new memories and allowing friends and families to join together and have fun together!”.

He had two wonderful mentors, one being his theater teacher, Ms..Anthis, who helped find his love and passion for theater and teaching. His other mentor was Mrs.Maake who, like for many others, played a major role in his life. She not only inspired him to become a better teacher but also be a better person. 

“Her spirit was loving and kind but also very caring for her students, and I love the passion she had about her students,” Mr. Deberadinis added. 

This is Mr.Deberardinis first year teaching. He’s eager to work with his new students, teaching them everything about theater. He is looking forward to molding the passionate minds of his students to create beautiful art for our school. Many of his students were previously members of Mrs. Maake’s class, and he hopes to continue her legacy.

“Mrs. Maake will always be a guiding light for me and every part of my life,” said Mr. Deberadinis.