Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Mourns a Loss

Students & Staff Remember Mrs. Maake

On Wednesday, July 19 2023, Woodcreek Middle School received the heartbreaking news that theatre teacher, Sarah Maake, had been killed in a car accident. News was given in an email from Dr. Moye to inform students and staff of the news.

“As you know, Sarah was incredible with her students every single day. Last year they got first place for their One Act Play and finished the year with an incredible showing of the SpongeBob Musical. Sarah created a caring and loving environment for her theatre students to belong.”

Mrs. Maake joined the WMS staff in the fall of 2020 after working at Atascocita Middle School and Lakeshore Elementary. In her three years at Woodcreek Middle School, she led students to success through multiple award winning productions. Beyond this, she was a popular favorite among students.

In addition to her relationship with students, Mrs. Maake was an incredible coworker with her fellow staff members.

“Sarah was amazing with her fellow staff members, always with a smile on her face and always providing good energy around everyone with whom she came in contact,” said Dr. Moye.

Mrs. Maake’s two young daughters were in the car with her in the accident, and they remain in the hospital receiving treatment for their injuries. According to Mrs. Maake’s husband, a music teacher in Humble ISD, the two girls are recovering well and are making good progress.

A GoFundMe account was created by Mrs. Maake’s family to help assist in raising funds for hospital bills and the family as they look to the future. Within days, the account raised tens of thousands of dollars.

Click Here for GoFundMe