Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month

Genevieve S.
Ten seventh grade girls with Hispanic Heritage come together to pose for a picture.

Since August 17, 1988, Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM) has been an annual celebration for Hispanic culture all around America. Hispanic Heritage Month started in 1988 by President Lyndon Johnson and was later expanded by president Ronald Reagan. HHM has three themes: “prosperity, power, and progress” ; this is to “recognize achievements of the Hispanic community in the economic and political industries.” 

The history of Hispanic Heritage Month wasn’t always the same. The observation started in 1968 as Hispanic Heritage Week under President Lyndon Johnson, but it was expanded By President Ronald Reagan to a 30 day celebration in 1988. HHM is the anniversary of independence for Latin Americans. HHM is celebrating the histories, contributions, and culture of American citizens whose ancestors who came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. HHM has bright colors to celebrate the culture; the colors are orange, red, yellow, and green. The bright colors represent the meaning of life and family, many cities will host concerts, parades, festivals, and more celebrations.

HHM is a great way for people of the Hispanic Heritage to express themselves, and share their culture with other people. Seventh grader Aliyah Rodriguez said, “Hispanic Heritage Month means a lot to me. I love that I can express my culture and my ethnicity!” But why should HHM should be celebrated? Seventh grader Alinah Alfaro said “ HHM should be celebrated more because it represents our culture, and it defines who we are and our religion.”

But how can Woodcreek Middle School celebrate Hispanic heritage month? A 7th grade Student Allison Miranda said ” We should have a specific day during HHM where we wear the traditional Hispanic clothing and eat the traditional foods”.  Another way for Woodcreek Middle School to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month is that, in a one class period we can play traditional hispanic games like La Loteria, and we can also watch a movie that has Latino actors. 

Hispanic Heritage month is a very important month to Hispanics, but sadly, some Hispanic students don’t know the history of our culture. HHM is important because it provides more time to properly recognize the contributions that Hispanics/ Latino Americans have made. It also acknowledges the positive influence that Latinos have made in the world.