Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Eduardo Trevino’s Fantastic AGT Run

On September 19 at 7:00 pm Eduardo Trevino performed on America Got Talent in their semi-finals round. He performed “Remember Me” from the Disney Pixar movie Coco. This was the first time he performed on AGT since his audition last month. It took a lot of guts and confidence to perform in front of the judges, the audience and millions of viewers, but Eduardo said, “I will try my very best for my family”.

For Eduardo to be on the show, he had to go to Los Angeles. There, he got to meet and interact with the judges, Simon Cowell, Sofia Vergarra, Heidi Klum and Howie Mandell as well as the other contestants. According to Eduardo, “they were very nice.”

When he was on the show he found how a big show like this runs. According to Eduardo, it was very time consuming to practice and do all the rehearsals. To help with the trip and all the expenses, a GoFundMe page was created for Eduardo and the mariachis. Eduardo said, “It helped a lot with the trip and the mariachis were very happy!” 

The next night, on Wednesday, September 20, the results from the voting were announced. Five of the eleven acts advanced to the second half of the semi-finals results, and Eduardo was one of them. Two of those five were announced as finalists for the show, and unfortunately, Eduardo was not one of them. However, they added a new element to the night called the “Wild Card”. Each judge nominated one act to be added to the finalists, and America would vote on which nominee they wanted to see in the finals. Eduardo started doubting himself after they added the Wild Card. Eduardo tends to practice more mariachi music than regular Mexican music, so he wished he had picked a different song. According to Eduardo, “I would change the song because I feel it did not represent the mariachi music very well.” 

However, Eduardo still had his grades to worry about when he was out being a mariachi star. He is a middle school student after all. He had a little bit of help because compulsory education laws mandate that the education of a child actor not be disrupted while the child is working, whether the child actor is enrolled in public school, private school or even home school. The child does their schoolwork under the supervision of a studio teacher while on the set. So Eduardo had some help on his work while in Los Angeles. 

Unfortunately, Eduardo did not advance to the finals. However, he put on a fantastic performance and he represented Humble ISD and Woodcreek Middle School well. But most importantly, he put a new spotlight on mariachi music and gained national recognition for his talent.