Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Life as a Lionette

Woodcreek’s Dance Team Takes the Field
Ms. Russell
Lionettes pose for a picture before taking the stage for the first time in the 23-24 school year.

The Lionettes, Woodcreek’s award winning dance team are ready to take the field again. Throughout the year, the Lionettes face many struggles but they still go out there and perform, and routinely and consistently prove their talent. 

The Lionettes are busy, busy, busy. They participate in football games, basketball games, pep rallies, competitions, and so much more. 

The pep rallies are some of the students’ and Lionettes’ favorite performances. Seventh grader Brielle Francis said that, “…the students should be excited for the pep rallies- especially the 6th graders since they are new here and haven’t really seen the Lionettes perform.” 

Around April or May of every school year, Lionettes hold a four day audition for current and new dancers. Most dancers in Lionettes build experience by being on the team each year, but some have been dancing most of their lives.

Seventh grader Lillian Lopresti stated, “I have danced since I was about 3 years old, and I knew that I wanted to continue dancing throughout school ever since I was young. My mom was on Instagram a lot, so she would show me videos of Lionettes dancing. I wanted to be like them so much that when I went to middle school I knew I wanted to try out.”

The Lionettes have a legacy and these girls want to carry it on. Eighth grader Jordyn Bollom said that, “ When my older sister made Lionettes, I went to her performances and saw how much fun it would be!”. 

As fun as it is to be a Lionette, there are still some struggles. The biggest struggle for eighth grader Brylee Sherwood is managing school work, dance, and orchestra. A lot of girls struggle with balancing school work/life and dance. However it is only the beginning of the year so this has not been a problem yet. 

Seventh grader Candace Aird stated, “So far it hasn’t been too difficult because it is the beginning of the school year but I bet as the school year goes on it will get more difficult to manage.”

The work that the Lionettes do is similar to what is done in P.E. and Dance, but there are also major differences. 

Brielle Francis came from dance class and she said, “ In dance class you kind of learn just the background of dance as a whole and the different dance styles and probably some basic dance techniques, while in Lionettes you get a mix/variety of dance styles and learn more advanced dance technique.” Meanwhile, Candace Aird said “One change from P.E to the Lionettes was not playing games all the time and having to get work done.”

Ms. Beall is the talented dance teacher and coach of the Lionettes. 

Sixth grader Baylee Robinson said, “Ms.Beall is a good coach by interacting with all of us and letting us have fun.” Sixth grader Kennedy An added” Ms. Beall is such a good dance coach because she expects us to work hard and do the best we can.” 

Ms. Beall is really good at giving advice, and is always willing to help.

“I think all students trying out for a competitive team should expect it to be challenging,” Ms. Beall said. “Also Lionette tryouts are not judged by me but by a panel of 3 judges.” 

The Lionettes are an amazing school spirit organization. They work hard, stay focused and perform.

“A Lionette is a passionate and hard working dancer. A Lionette never gives up and keeps pushing.”- Jordyn Bollom.

Donate to Woodcreek Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Woodcreek Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.