Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Looking Ahead to Fall Sports

Volleyball, Football & Cross Country Prepare for a New Season
Cross Country runners line up for practice at Meet the Lions.

As the 2023-2024 school year gets started, the Woodcreek athletes are getting ready for the upcoming seasons. These athletes are excited to be on teams and playing for Woodcreek. Coaches are picking teams and getting ready for the first games. Being on a team takes a lot of skill and dedication. WMS is big on improving skills and respect on and off the court/field.

Boys head coach, Coach Detrick Jones said “I feel great quite honestly. I think with the practice plans we have implemented, our players are well ahead of schedule given the circumstances.”

Coach Jones is the head football coach for WMS. He said, “ I’m very much looking forward to working with them. This is a highly motivated group that worked very hard this summer at speed and strength camp. THey have a goal set and are determined to achieve it. I feel they will do great on the field. They have experience now and know what it takes.” His goal for the team is to get 1% better each day no matter what happens. 

Eighth grade football captain, Carter Jack, said that he is excited and anxious for the first game and upcoming season. He said “being captain is a big role with lots of responsibilities. You always have to keep the team in order.”

To help the team as captain, Carter said he will keep everyone in order and give a good amount of discipline. He plans to take his team on a winning streak and then to districts. He said we can expect the football team to be doing good things on and off the field.

Carter Jack is a very well known leader. People around the school say he is a smart, hard working athlete and student. Students and staff can trust him to keep not just the team but everyone in order.

The volleyball coaches are all ready and excited for this upcoming season. They have been prepping the players for the upcoming games and teaching the players new skills. They are anxious to see how the volleyball team will play this year now that most of the team has experience from 7th grade.

One of the 8th grade A Team star players, Maci Rodriguez, is viewed as a leader for the volleyball team. Many people view her as a good person on and off the court. 

Maci said “I am really excited for the first game! I’m ready to be playing for the team this year.” She is one of the many reasons the volleyball team is what it is now. She is a very coachable player and shows respect to all her teammates. She is a well respected, smart, and skilled young woman. Just wait till you see how she does on the court.

As we are starting volleyball and football, we are also starting cross country season. Many athletes have joined cross country for both 7th and 8th grade. The cross country coaches are ready and excited for the first meet coming up on September 6th, 2023. 

Cross country athlete Olivia Truby said “I’m excited for the first cross country meet! I think that the team has some really strong runners, and that we can expect a lot from the team.” 

Alex Suliman and Kaylee Nicas said they are ready for the first meet as well and that they want to have a good time. They all think everyone has improved in their own way whether it was their PR (Personal Record) or shortening the time when they all run together. 

Everyone is anxious and excited about the upcoming season whether it’s going to the games or hearing about how it went. Woodcreek has some very talented and intelligent athletes on and off the court. They have no limit to what they can do, so let’s give them some support!

Donate to Woodcreek Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Woodcreek Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.