Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Dr. Moye Enters Year Five at WMS

As this year begins, Dr. Moye is reaching his 5th year as principal at Woodcreek Middle School. It is a huge milestone for WMS. It really is something to be proud of and celebrate. 

Dr. Moye said “The thing that drew me to WMS was the opportunity to work and support the community and this was a perfect situation to be in Humble ISD and in the community where I live”.

Unfortunately, Dr. Moye’s first year at WMS was cut short with the introduction of COVID-19. This presented many challenges for Dr. Moye and forced him to grow a different professional perspective. 

Dr. Moye said “I think I grew professionally as my views on what current 21st century education was forced to be stretched. When all were thrust into virtual education, many of us had never experienced this from a student or a professional perspective. Building instructional schedules, figuring out instructional delivery, and understanding technology on the fly was a wake up call to everyone in the K-12 education world. However, that experience has expanded the ways that we now know we have access to that will assist us in reaching students in ways that are more on their level and more applicable in the post secondary/work environment. While I never want to experience a halt of life and education like that again, I do feel confident that I was prepared by those experiences to better understand the direction that communication and education are headed and have a more refined understanding of how to prepare our students for success beyond Woodcreek”.

When it comes to his favorite memory over the last five years, Dr. Moye said “My favorite memory isn’t just one, but the Gold Fight Win pep rallies that we have held. It is inspirational to see students support a cause that is emotional. Also, to have everyone in one place cheering and supporting the same things provides an incredible sense of community and cohesiveness that truly makes our campus feel as one”.

Dr. Moye has done a lot in his first five years, but when it comes to the next five years, he still has big goals. 

According to Dr. Moye, “The older you get the harder it is to answer this question. But however, in five years, I see myself still helping students be the best version of themselves through opportunities at school and through programs that help students realize their potential and benefits of hard work and ENDURANCE.

Dr. Moye admires how successful Woodcreek Lions are in both the classroom and in their extracurriculars. 

“My favorite part of our school is the eye-opening abilities of our students at WMS. We are  successful in everything in which we compete. From academics, to fine arts, and to athletics, We are successful in it all. Having a chance to work with such well-rounded students keeps us administrators and teachers on their toes and searching for ways to engage students in a deeper way so that they are continuously pushed to be ELITE!”

Dr. Moye faced so many challenges throughout all five years, One challenge was the teachers in the t-buildings being apart from the teachers inside the whole school.

Dr. Moye said “I believed that woodcreek’s biggest challenge over the past five years was managing life when they have had MANY classes in the t-buildings. The challenges to ensure that the students and teachers felt a part of the WMS academic community when a majority of their classes were outside of the main building which displays their colors and their mascot…just finding ways to make it feel like an actual school. The assistant principals that we have had and the teachers who taught in the t-buildings were very much responsible for the solutions that were very much responsible for the solutions that were put into place to make everyone have that sense of belonging at WMS.

Lastly,Dr. Moye has helped Woodcreek grow over the past five years of his career as a principal by growing the culture and identity. Dr.Moye  said “One wms has significantly grown its culture and identity over the last five years. People in and around our community know the expectation of BE ELITE. Developing the campus identity has been a movement from every adult in the building, but most importantly it has been a type of movement by the students. As adults we can provide students with consistent expectations in regards to academics and extracurricular success/effort, but the students and their work are what determines/shows if we have realized growth. 

And also Dr. Moye  said “I hope that everybody continues to grow in our instructional delivery so that everybody is as modern as possible. When you have students with as much potential as WMS students, it is paramount that instructors move with the times to ensure that students are receiving information in ways which are relevant, engaging, and useful. In every sense of the word, WMS teachers are true professionals who love making their kids better. But, we always have to grow so that we do not forget the goal is to always push the students of our community to bigger, and more noteworthy accomplishments.