Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

More Bop than Flop

Reviewing Olivia Rodrigo’s Sophomore Album, “Guts”
More Bop than Flop

Olivia Rodrigo, GRAMMY winning artist, is back again with another emotional knife twist. Her new album, Guts, came out one week ago today, and it has been a hit! Olivia Rodrigo’s first album, Sour, was a worldwide album released on May, 21, 2021. Sour was a smash hit and left people wanting more. Many fans were eager to see if Guts would compare.

Olivia Rodrigo’s album Sour was popular with fans, with hits like “Driver’s License” and “Deja Vu”. She has put out music that has reached tweens/teens across the country. Lana Elkadi likes how, “ You can really feel her emotions”. Similarly, Paloma Huertas observed, “ You can feel her pain and transport yourself to her world.” Teens around the country have related to her music and are ready to hear her new album.

In anticipation of Guts, many fans are wondering what to expect. A lot of fans want to hear different topics within the album. For example, Sierra Sanders wants to hear, “ More break up songs. I want to hear more about getting her life back together after a break up.” In addition, Aliyah Rodriguez wants, “… to hear more love songs and her healing process.”

Many fans were not expecting the pace of the album. Jayden Do said, “ I thought it would be really fast, because when ‘Bad Idea Right?’ and ‘Vampire’ came out as singles, it was  giving Folklore and Evermore (vibes).” For me I felt that the pace and feel of the songs were up and down. Some of her songs  such as “Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl”, “Bad Idea Right”, “Get Him Back!”, and “Vampire” were at a faster pace than other songs. However, songs such as “Lacy”, “Making the Bed”, and “Logical” have a much slower pace than other songs.

Rodrigo has some songs that can be bops or flops. Jayden Do said “ When I heard this song[Get Him Back], I knew it was going to be an overrated song.” 

As for me, I would argue that there were alot of bops and not too many flops. On this particular album, I enjoyed her upbeat songs more than her sad songs. I like to feel happy instead of sad, and her upbeat songs made me feel happy and energetic.

Olivia Rodrigo’s new album has been a hit with “Livies” (the name for her fans) all over the country and Woodcreek Middle School. Many fans have been anticipating the release since the hint of Guts. Many were extremely impressed with the final songs on the album and are going to jam out to Olivia Rodrigo’s new album Guts.