Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Eighth Grade’s Big Step

Alexandra G.
8th Grade Football practices at the beginning of the year for their upcoming season.

The 8th graders of Woodcreek Middle School are taking a big step in education going forward into high school. This is going to be a big change for them, especially environmentally. High school has more students, which means a way louder and compacted environment. It will be way more crowded in classes which will be harder for some students to learn and process the lessons that are being given to them. Although the environment isn’t the only thing that will be changing. The level of education they will be learning will be more complex than what they have had in middle school. Rules will be more strict and there will be harder discipline. 

Woodcreek’s very own 8th grade counselor Sheena Watkins stated “This is a group of future entrepreneurs and leaders. They have excelled academically and socially here at WMS! I know they will do great things in high school and for society in the years to come.” This shows how the 8th graders worked hard through the year in order to be able to be where they are now. Ms. Watkins also believed that these students will do very well in high school, continuing to be ELITE throughout the years. She also stated “ This is the first group that I was able to work with all three years of middle school and it has been amazing and rewarding to see their growth and accomplishment.”

Woodcreek’s principal, Dr. Alan Moye is very excited to see his 8th graders of 2024 take this big step into high school. He says that he thinks this group of students will do well in high school. “They have shown maturity growth over the school year. My experience with these 8th grade students has been fantastic! I have appreciated the group’s ability to work hard and perform well academically while also maintaining a great sense of humor and the ability to know how to have a great time”. Dr. Moye says he will miss this group of students. He was happy to be able to work and watch these students grow into excellent young people. He stated that they have been the definition of ELITE of the past three years showing responsibility and respect. His favorite highlight of the year was the 8th grade end of the year dance. “ It is always awesome to see how students look and act when they are dressed in their best, but this group of 8th graders were truly impressive in how they presented themselves. 

Many 8th graders are excited but scared for this big step. They’re going on to a bigger place with lots more people. Eighth grader, Tatum King says, “I feel like high school is a big part of life. Mistakes are made and life is just changing over all.” She feels ready and well prepared for high school and taking this huge step. “8th grade is prepared and ready to move on from middle school and as a group everyone will do great!”

Eighth grader Carter Jack, says “I feel amazing! I’m super ready to take a role in holding myself accountable and having more freedom but also responsibility. Athletic-wise I’m super excited. We have a good group, and it will be fun!” He believes the class of 2028 is well prepared for this move to high school. He says he will miss WMS. “There were a lot of great times and great memories here. I created a lot of new bonds and have had an amazing experience.” 

It’s always a good thing to be nervous when you are doing something you haven’t done before in your life. You don’t know what’s going to happen or what to expect to happen. At first it’ll seem like everything is changing but once you get the hang of it, everything will feel right again. High school is indeed a big part of life. It helps you realize the truth about the world and how it is constantly changing. This is a huge step in life that may seem a little hard. But if you open your mind to it and give it all that you have, it should be a-okay!