Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

RELA Department Eager to Read

RELA Department Eager to Read

The Woodcreek Middle School Reading & Language Arts (RELA) Department is ready to start the new year with a new focus and new drive after a very successful 2022-2023 school year.

According to Instructional Coach Ketra Williams, “Independent reading and establishing book club norms was our biggest success [last year].  We focused on fostering a love for reading and our students are reading self-selected books and data shows the progress of our students!”

The RELA Department plans on continuing this initiative of book clubs this year as they continue to encourage reading and expression through reading and writing.

“This year”, Ms. Williams observed, “I am looking forward to students reading in all grade levels within their book clubs.  The students will have choice boards for projects that they will create while reading their chosen book club books. ”

This year, in addition to the book clubs, the RELA Department is excited to embark on their new initiative that gives students and teachers more one-on-one time in discussions to help students better hone their reading and writing skills.

“Our newest initiative is conferring,” Ms. Williams added. “Teachers will confer with students while reading and writing.  Teachers will review data and compose small group instruction and mini lessons.”

Donate to Woodcreek Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Woodcreek Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.