Woodcreek Press

The Student News Site of Woodcreek Middle School

Woodcreek Press

Woodcreek Press

Social Studies Week 5 Update

• 6th Grade: This week we are wrapping up our unit on Thinking Like a Geographer. We will take the Social Studies Skills Assessment on Tuesday, September 12th and Wednesday, September 13th. Our next unit is Interacting with the Physical world. We will explore cause and effect relationships between humans and the physical world to explain why people live where they live, positive and negative physical changes and how humans have adapted and modified their physical environment.

• 7th Grade: Students reviewed the Unit 1: Natural Texas and its People test earlier this week.  If your student needs a retest, they must first complete all missing work and turn that in to their teacher. They must attend a tutoring session.  After completing those two steps, they are eligible for a retest. They must make an appointment with their teacher to stay after school to complete this retest for up to a 70. Students have begun learning about Spanish exploration and how it impacted Texas. We started with what motivated explorers and have discussed some of the repercussions of contact with Native Americans. The next scheduled exam is Monday, September 25.
  • 8th Grade: This week, students began Unit 2: The Causes of the American Revolution. Students analyzed the laws and taxes passed by the British government on the colonists in the eighteenth century and the reaction the colonists had to them. Students will take their second unit test over this material next Friday, September 15. REMEMBER!: Geography Test #1 will take place on Wednesday, September 20.